First Full Day in Kyoto! || Bryden & Micah

Kyoto Day 5 | Bryden & Micah




Introduction (Bryden and Micah)

Hi it’s Bryden and Micah! We are going to be talking about our first FULL day in Kyoto! We all did a bunch of stuff such as Omamori Charm Making to eat more amazing foods! I can’t believe  we are halfway through the trip and definitely hope for more awesome things to come. Now, let’s talk about Kyoto!




To start off our morning we went to the Heian Shrine. This shrine was really big and so vibrant with its red and green color. Its interior was interesting and unique compared to other shrines. We learned how to pray in the shrine. We had to Bow twice, then clap twice, and last bow again. Sadly, we couldn’t take any photos or videos. We also threw yen in this well to pay our respects. We were walking mostly on gravel and there were a bunch of little different things to see.






After walking around the Heian Shrine, we went to the garden. There were so many vibrant colors in the garden with a bunch of different types of plants & flowers. You could step on these stones that were pillars on the water, which was very fascinating. Another part was the little shop that was serving green tea, soft serve, and ramune soda! The people were so kind and we thank them for making our experience better in the garden. We ended it off on the bridge where you could sit down and relax or pay some yen to get some bait to feed the turtles/fish.







PC: Allison <3
After our wonderful experience at Heian Shrine, we hopped back on our tour bus and drove to Arashiyama where we enjoyed a hot pot lunch. Our meal consisted mainly of tofu, soup, and various sides, including konbu, daikon, chicken, omelet, and more. Following lunch, we headed downstairs and made a quick stop to get our matcha fix. Almost everyone enjoyed a matcha ice cream cone or a matcha tea and ice cream drink. Treats in hand, we hiked to and through the Arashiyama bamboo grove. It was ridiculously hot, crowded, and stuffy, but I’d say the sights were well worth it. When we made it out of the forest, we circled back to the restaurant and got to make our own Omamori charms. I learned yesterday from my host buddy, Yushu, that Omamori charms are very important to the Japanese people. He showed me different charms around his home as well as one that he kept in his wallet at all times. Omamori charms are said to keep the owner protected and ward off evil. The process of creating our own charms was very enjoyable and just as easy. 



 We had a two hour break at the hotel, but then we walked about 15 minutes to our dinner spot. When we got there, it was a small place with a bunch of different designs and statues. Our dinner consisted of a hot pot (chicken, vegetables, mushrooms), more chicken, tempura, salad, tamago, and udon noodles. All of these foods were BOMB and SAVORY. I had an awesome time eating with my family <3 
We had a reflection of the day and a discussion about different things. We went back to our community norms to see if we have been following it. We talked about laundry, laundry, and laundry. I’m just kidding! We talked about following/respecting boundaries, checking up on ourselves, and also shout outs to other people. But, we did also talk about laundry. During this discussion, people cried, expressed different things all of us weren’t aware of, and shared their thoughts/feelings. I wanted to say everyone is valid in their feelings and thoughts about anything. I wanted to say thanks to everyone who expressed themselves and shared because it is a brave thing to do. I think we all learned a lot about each other. This discussion strengthened and brought all of us closer. We are going to face our challenges together now. If any of you guys need to talk, I’m always free to talk to. I would gladly listen to you guys because you guys are amazing. Remember, we are a big family! You guys are all the best <3



PC: Marc <3

PC: Rylen <3

Tonight, we were invited to a Movie Night, planned by Rylen Koshi, and generously hosted in Jayneson Yadao, Joshua Mori, and Rylen’s room. We watched the anime film
Suzume.
Although I didn’t catch the entire movie, I really enjoyed the night and it will be something I remember forever. Our generous host, Rylen, made melon soda floats for us, using ingredients sourced from our hotel’s vending machines (which is insane, by the way). Others brought stuffed animals, snacks, and good vibes. I wouldn’t have wanted to finish off the day any otherf way!




As I write this blog and reflect on our day, the one word that keeps coming to mind is family. We are at the halfway point in our study tour in Japan, and I feel like today was really a turning point. As Bryden mentioned, tears were shed and we learned new things about each other during the discussion after dinner. Everyone was able to open up and be vulnerable, which really brought us together. I think this is the closest we’ve been on the trip. Kyoto really is a step back into the past of Japan and is such an amazing place. Believe me when I say that pictures don’t do Kyoto’s beauty justice. I couldn’t imagine spending my time here with any other group of students. I really love you all and I can’t wait to see what the next day brings.


Sincerely,


Micah and Bryden

<3














Comments